SellSafe is a mandatory social responsibility training program designed to help retail cannabis staff understand what their responsibilities are to their customers. The program also helps workers understand what Alberta’s cannabis laws and AGLC’s policies are so they can follow them. These rules are in place to help protect people working in the cannabis industry, their property, their customers and the public from cannabis-related harms. We have best and certified SellSafe Cannabis Security services in Edmonton and surrounding area.
It’s important that you are able to keep all points of entry and exit within your establishment secure with both threat detection (i.e. security systems and weapons detection) as well as guards. While security is a tough game, you don’t want to set a tough tone between your security guard and cannabis consumer. Work with your security staff to ensure that they embrace and understand the customer experience you are developing in-store. Since they are the first point of contact, ensure that they are helping consumers feel welcome and invited, yet are able to maintain a zero-tolerance stance on any customer activities that could present a perceived threat to your dispensary, staff and other customers.
The first line of defense for your cannabis security is you and your employees. The fact that theft is highest with employees makes it even more important you have clear hiring procedures, security protocols and training in place.
- Make sure every employee is vetted with a background check and thorough interviews. Your goal should be to find trustworthy full time employees that you can train and pay well.
- Train all employees on security procedures such as how to handle product and how to keep security information safe.
- Limit the opportunities for employee diversion by rotating shifts to prevent collusion, limiting certain access to only managers and training for how to respond if an employee sees any diversion.
Marijuana Security Guard and Services
In addition to basic security protocols, you should also have the best possible marijuana security systems in place. This includes cameras, motion detector alarms, biometric locks and security personnel. Depending on your area, you may need a full-time security guard to patrol the premises. For transportation of cash and product you can also use marijuana security services or other security services.
The truth is, with the right marijuana security procedures, your dispensary or growhouse can be just as safe as any business.
Unfortunately, security for marijuana dispensaries and other cannabis businesses does need to be taken more seriously than your average mom and pop store. Here are the threats you’ll face:
- Physical Theft: As a cash business, dispensaries are particularly attractive to thieves. A marijuana dispensary in Edmonton caused concern in their community last summer after it was robbed at gunpoint.
- Cyber-theft: Businesses that store customer information – particularly medical information – are particularly susceptible to cyber-theft.
- Employee Diversion: Unfortunately, your cannabis employees are your biggest risk. According to industry experts employee theft accounts for 90% of financial and product loss in the cannabis industry.